Friday, February 08, 2008

Modern Conservatism: A Mad-Libs Movement

As I noted in my post yesterday, Mitt Romney's exit speech-- given at the annual conservative CPAC event-- was a window into the heart of the GOP base, as Romney's entire campaign consisted of regurgitating back to them whatever they wanted to hear. It also likely (as with the President Bush statement from my previous entry) gives us a preview of the general election strategy against the Democrats... a sad rehash of old conservative standbys that do not acknowledge or reflect the reality of the past 8 years.



Finally, another interesting note from CPAC... based on the reactions to Sen. McCain's speech, it appears that the great conservative rebellion against him is (slowly) wimping out, as they prepare to do battle against the evils of terrorism Liberalism. They have declared victory-- despite getting the candidate they hated-- and are ready to take their orders. Said the National Review's Kathryn Jean Lopez of the event, "This McCain speech would not have been given today, if it weren’t for folks like Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh, Andy McCarthy, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham. Can I thank them on behalf of America?" Yes, please do, and also put them in every McCain campaign commercial, I assure you we'd appreciate it.

This morning she adds, "My friends, we have a war to win. Join me on my no surrender campaign." War forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home