Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Quote of the Day

"There's a visceral need that right-wing honchos--like Rush, O'Reilly and Sean Hannity--have for Hillary inevitability. I think it has to do with a certain nostalgia for the Clinton presidency, when they could sit back, make outrageous claims (Vince Foster assassinated), foment non-scandals (Whitewater), wreak havoc with the Constitution (impeachment) and generally yuk it up (Lewinsky). Isn't as much fun having to defend the worst president in American history, is it, El Rushbo?"
--Time magazine's Joe Klein on why the GOP base wants a Clinton candidacy so bad.

As I wrote in my post about all the masturbatory 2008 talk in December, "Right now the Republican party is dispirited and fractured. This is for the best. But nothing would unite and galvanize them more than another opportunity to take down the Clintons. There's a reason partisan shills like the NY Post's John Podhoretz regularly tout the inevitability of President Hillary... because the 'threat' of that is the best hope for a united GOP front in 2008." And I know she's a juggernaut with millions of people who support her because... well, I'm not even sure they know why, but she's hardly inevitable.

I remain hopeful Democratic primary voters-- and I am strongly considering changing my registration, if only for 2008, from independent to Democrat to join them-- will elect a less wishy-washy candidate, thus denying the far-right their chew toy.

And while the Clinton years were good to many, it's time to look to the future, not the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home