Sunday, October 16, 2005

An Introduction

Hello.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jeremy and this is my weblog (or "blog" as they are sometimes called). As you may have surmised, it is a political blog. Why start a political blog? Well, I was surfing around the internet and found the political blog world to be dangerously underpopulated. So here I am to the rescue. I hope this blog will inform, entertain, and occassionally lull you to sleep. I hope it grows and encourage your feedback in that endeavor. I know the blog world is huge and filled with a big boys (the Kos-es, the Americablogs, and Crooks and Liars) and a million other small fishes. I am aware I am but another fish. But I wouldn't have created this blog if I didn't feel that I too could contribute... in my own small way.

It should be noted that I am no 'newbie' to the world of political blogging. I started writing about politics last summer when I started my LiveJournal community- Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin. You can read a year's worth of archives of my writing there. I have re-posted some of my recent entries below just to get this new ball rolling. Originally this community was created for my friends to discuss the 2004 presidential election. However, I soon commandeered the community as my own and began to use it as a... well, blog of my political thoughts and stories of interest. So I decided it would be best to start a real blog and make it official.

A little bit about myself before I begin. I am a liberal. Up through college, I was actually a moderate conservative (for the most part), but have never aligned myself with any major party (I am registered independent). My move towards being liberal began in late 2000. In 2000, I rooted for Sen. McCain to win the Republican primaries; alas, he did not. So I voted for Al Gore, having been a fan of President Clinton and also respecting Gore for his strong environmental stance. I was sure he would win- I was positive the majority of Americans would not vote for an intellectually challenged, born-again Christian with a string of failed businesses, trading on his family name. It turned out I was right. But he ended up President anyway. This electoral injustice was where I first began to realize how far this country had moved politically and that I shared different values. Could I be... liberal? It seemed possible. My change cemented in lower Manhattan on the morning of September 11, 2001. As I made my way uptown from a neighborhood that had just been attacked by terrorists, a lot of political issues and policies I had never even given much thought to before were swimming in my mind and I began to fear the thought of a country at war under the leadership of men with dubious priorities. As the years of George Bush's leadership continued, I became more and more dillusioned with the state of the union and the dumbed-down level of our national political dialogue. I had/have many thoughts about these matters and, last year, decided to write about them.

And that's how I got here. I hope my little fish of a blog will be able to find a place in this large sea of political discussion. I invite feedback and criticism about this (whether it's the content or aesthetics of this blog). Thanks for reading; if even one new person finds this blog of interest/help, than I am greatful.

[My old LiveJournal archives:
Religion, Politics, and the Great Pumpkin - Calendar View]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home