Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sutton's Impact

[Originally published 9/28 on my old LiveJournal blog]

After my earlier entry, I sent Ward Sutton an email.

He replied. Below is his response to my response to his cartoon:

Hi Jeremy -
Thank you for your email and how could I not respond to what is, by far, the most thought feedback I've ever received from a cartoon?

Your very well-written letter makes sense on all counts and I fully respect your position.
And I don't disagree with most of the things you've said.

Basically, New York, an exceptionally liberal city, is (presumably) going to reelect a Republican mayor. That is an odd thing and deserves commentary, in my opinion, and so I did a cartoon about it.

What it comes down to for me, is Bush. Bush is damaging this country in a historic, horrible way, and the only way he is able to do this is with all the support he has. He has been divisive and pushed the idea that only Republicans are "true americans." And I believe this has bred corruption in the Republican party with all the unchecked power they have.

And then there's Bloomberg, who opportunistically became a Republican for his own political benefit. He courts the national party, brings them to town, sells out the city. He made deals with the devil, in my mind. And back during RNC 2004, I promised myself I wouldn't forget it.

Now that he's in office, why doesn't Bloomberg become a Democrat? If that is where his heart lies, why not make a statement by switching parties and renouncing Bush et al? Instead he raises millions for the Republicans and that's something else I cannot forgive. It also makes me not really trust the guy. I'm also uncomfortable with the fact that he has so much money that he can buy everything to get where he wants.

On Sept 10, 2001, the NYC public television channel broadcast a documentary about all the candidates running that year for Mayor. Bloomberg came off like an unbelievable jerk, with even worse jerks as aides who even threatened the filmmakers. I thought that night, "This guy cannot be allowed to win." Of course, the next day, everything changed. Would he have still won if Sept 11 never happened? Who knows? His Giulliani endorsement surely wouldn't have mattered as much in that scenario.

I also question the rationale of "well, bloomberg's a republican, but he's not a BAD republican" that many NYers seem to buy. "Well, he's a Nazi, but he's a liberal Nazi." Hey, if the guy is supporting the party, and the party is doing horrible things, doesn't that make him guilty as well? Plus, he KNOWS he can't win in NY as a right winger, so couldn't some of his liberal positions be made with this in mind? I'm not saying I fully distrust his sincerity, but hey, I've got some reason to doubt.

Clearly, I am thrilled that if we have to have a republican mayor we have one who is liberal on a lot of these issues you mention. And I don't believe in always voting along partisan lines no matter what. I will admit that I voted for Giulliani in his reelection because I thought the Dem opponent was hopelessly weak, however well intentioned she may have been. But I do feel the Dems have to come back, and how can they do that if they can't even win in their own city?

Anyway, my cartoons are designed to provoke, and I guess this one may have done that. But I certainly understand why you would support Bloomberg. Hope my explanation here makes sense.

Thanks again for your thoughtful letter and for your support of my work (despite a disagreement this time).
Take care and hope you are well -
Ward

1 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger Vitamin Steve said...

How dare you insult Ernie Fletcher.

I, for one, will never ever return to your metro-gel site, no matter how well it covers metro-gel related stuff.

-Steve!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home