Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hate To Say I Told You So

Just following up on two stories I blogged about recently...

First- I blogged a few times about not believing the full hype on the foiled UK liquid bomb terror plot. After the initial media coverage, quietly-removed updates indicated that the story we were told did not match the facts at hand. A real plot, yes, but far too early in planning/speculating to have been hyped as an imminent threat worthy of not letting me bring toothpaste with me on an airplane.

Now new findings indicate further that this plot has more akin than I thought to the plot to topple the Brooklyn Bridge with blowtorches... a crazy scheme by genuine terrorists that would've been self-foiled by its own inherent flaws. Namely, the issue of turning an airport bathroom into a laboratory and not getting beat down by fellow passengers before you had a chance to plug in the bunsen burner. The always-snarky gang at Wonkette has details:
Can We Please Bring Our Damned Coffee On the Plane Again, Idiots?

Second- I blogged on Monday about a report that President Bush was "preparing an astonishing U-turn on global warming". At the time I noted that any changes were likely to be minor or cosmetic... and noted that he made many lofty environmental promises in his last State of the Union, most of which were immediately ignored. Now details of Bush's plan are out and while they are an improvement by Bush standards (which had been previously been deny the problem), they rely too much on research and not enough on action. Think Progress has the details on the policy announcement by the Department of Energy:
Bush Administration Announces Half-Baked Climate Change Plan

I really wish I'd have been proved wrong on that last one in particular.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home