Monday, September 18, 2006

President Bush To Embrace Environmentalism?...

...That's what this article in The Independent (UK) implies-
President Bush is preparing an astonishing U-turn on global warming, senior Washington sources say.

After years of trying to sabotage agreements to tackle climate change he is drawing up plans to control emissions of carbon dioxide and rapidly boost the use of renewable energy sources...

Should I start holding my breath now? What do you think?

The article later continues-
Over the past few days rumours swept the capital that the "Toxic Texan" would announce his conversion this week, in an attempt to reduce the impact of a major speech tomorrow by Al Gore on solutions to climate change.

The White House denied the timing, but did not deny that a change of policy was on its way. Sources say that the most likely moment is the President's State of the Union address in January.

Bold added by me... Now, I know the American press is lazy, but I expect better from the British. So for them to state that a possible President environmental reversal could be announced in the State of the Union next year without acknowledging that it was already a key focus of this year's State of the Union is just sloppy journalism.

Before that speech in January, the White House hyped up the environmental issues to be addressed in the speech- alternative energies, foreign oil dependency, etc. After the speech, his Energy Secretary told the press that "the president didn't mean it literally". Oop.

At the time, I was intriqued, but stated in my blog that "This is a good issue to focus on, but given their record on environmental and energy issues, I can't imagine much being done besides a lot of talking." And, almost a year later, I was absolutely right. Hell, they've barely even done the talking part. I also added that- and I think this speaks to how I feel about this news from The Independent- "One would have to be naive to expect better results (or even sincerity) at this point from President Bush."

Case in point: The President's shocking revelation earlier this month that, wait for it... we're addicted to oil! Captain Obvious to the rescue!

As I also stated in January, if we're powering cars with corn in a year or two, I'll apologize.

UPDATE: Another blogger further dissects the politics of this news.

[Related- A new book deal for Al Gore renews speculation of a 2008 presidential run.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home