Monday, March 06, 2006

Mr. President, I Wish I Could Veto You

The President wants (to quote Tim 'The Tool Man' Taylor) "more power!!".

AP: Bush to Propose Line-Item Veto Legislation

I find it insane that, at a time when his political standing is at an all-time low (due in no small part to abuses of power, large and small), that the President is requesting of Congress more power for himself. This would be a power, by the way, that was given to President Clinton in the '90s but removed when the Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional. Perhaps President Bush will argue that, as per his Article II powers, he has the inherent authority to demand this power, regardless of what the "judiciary branch" said about its "constitutionality".

Or perhaps he will simply cash in some of that political capital of his!

Let me also say that, in theory, a line-item veto could be a very good tool to cut down on many legislative excesses. In the hands of this President, however, I'd expect he'd use it to cut out science funding and social programs rather than porkbarrel pet projects or unnecessary military spending. At this point, I doubt most Americans would trust the President to walk their dogs, let alone grant him such sweeping power.

The President needs to understand something... he asks much of the American people: trust, power, and support. But these things cannot be taken, they must be earned. What has the President done to earn those things? I said when Bush was reelected, I was willing to give him a second chance if he could earn it... he did not. If possible, he has exceeded my worst fears on a Bush second term in every way. The President will be lucky to escape this term without impeachment. So, even discussing line-item veto power? I don't think so, Tim.

Hopefully the ongoing port saga still has Congress on offense against the desires of the White House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home