Monday, January 23, 2006

Sen. Lieberman: "I don't believe that the president has the authority..."

The pile of bipartisan opposition to the President's warrantless wiretapping and claims of inherent authority continues to grow as Sen. Lieberman (D-CT) schools Sen. Pat Robert (R-KS) (who falsely claimed the President was losing the capability "to act to detect a possible attack on the homeland") on yesterday's Face The Nation-
Sen. LIEBERMAN: I don't believe that the president has the authority. I believe that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act requires him to go to the secret FISA court, which has only turned down four or five requests out of about 20,000. I want my government to be listening to phone conversations that Americans, or people here, are having with al-Qaeda, and reading their e-mails. But I want them to have to at least go to one level of clearance, through a secret foreign intelligence court before they do that.


Let's hope this all actually translates to some serious repercussions for the President down the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home