Saturday, February 02, 2008

It's The Contempt For The Average American, Stupid!

I believe the record (of failure) of conservative economic policy during the last 100 years speaks for itself. I've written a few posts on that recently. But beyond that simple reality is another reason why no self-respecting person should trust conservatives on the economy... the either clueless or contemptful way in which they regard the 90%+ of Americans who aren't rich. I have compiled a few examples.

Here is Sean Hannity debating tax cuts with his liberal minstrel, Alan Colmes-
COLMES: That doesn’t seem to be helping the economy very much…because things aren’t going so well.

HANNITY: It is, Alan. The economy is phenomenal. Where have you been living?

And let's see what our fine congressfolk have to say-
At a press conference today unveiling the stimulus proposal, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) justified the conservative plan to give tax breaks to corporations — instead of working Americans — by arguing that people actually like working long hours:
"I am so proud to be from the state of Minnesota. We’re the workingest state in the country, and the reason why we are, we have more people that are working longer hours, we have people that are working two jobs."
Bachmann’s version of the American Dream is apparently working two full-time jobs and struggling to get by.

It's President Bush's version too. Here he is in 2005, during his Privatization Road Trip-
MS. MORNIN: Okay, I'm a divorced, single [57 year-old] mother with three grown, adult children. I have one child, Robbie, who is mentally challenged, and I have two daughters.

THE PRESIDENT: Fantastic. First of all, you've got the hardest job in America, being a single mom...

MS. MORNIN: I work three jobs and I feel like I contribute.

THE PRESIDENT: You work three jobs?

MS. MORNIN: Three jobs, yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that. (Applause.) Get any sleep? (Laughter.)

MS. MORNIN: Not much. Not much.

But not everyone is so cheery! Here's one example of a conservative who had been down on his luck-
In 1995, current Fox News judicial commentator Andrew Napolitano left his seat on New Jersey’s Superior Court to begin a career as a news commentator. Napolitano told the Washington Times recently that the reason he left the judiciary is because “I really was tired of being poor.” His salary as a judge? $100,000 a year.

Tony Snow too had to leave public service due to economic hardships-
Snow, ailing with cancer, had said recently he would leave before the end of Bush's presidency. The father of three children, Snow said he needs to make more than his White House salary of $168,000.

I could go and on, but I think you get my point. Secure in their bubbles, they assume everyone is in the same boat they're in, and that there are no problems. And if ever someone convinces them of bad news, their only solutions are bailouts of the big businesses who helped make the messes to begin with. This goes beyond just believing in conservative economic principles... these people are out of touch with reality all together.

Credit where it's due... some GOP leaders have been honest. "The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should," John McCain said recently. And it shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home