Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sutton's Impact

I was very sad to learn this week that Ward Sutton, author of the 'Sutton Impact' political strip that runs in the Village Voice and other publications has decided to wind down the strip and move on to other projects. I have been reading his cartoons since I was in high school and have always loved his biting take on political/cultural events.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Sutton at the 2005 San Diego Comic Con and he was very friendly (even drew a personalized Bush caricature for me). And after I sent him an email later that year critiquing a cartoon he did mocking liberal supporters of NY's Republican mayor Mike Bloomberg, he assuaged my ego with a reply calling it the best letter he'd ever received. Not that the Voice has been very good since its corporate takeover last year anyway, but it won't be the same without his cartoons.

A collected book of his post-2000 election cartoons is available- here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home