Thursday, November 30, 2006

When The Senator Met The President

For a guy born in super high society, the President sure has poor social skills.

From The Hill-
At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

“I didn’t ask you that, I asked how he’s doing,” Bush retorted, according to the source.

Webb confessed that he was so angered by this that he was tempted to slug the commander-in-chief, reported the source, but of course didn’t. It’s safe to say, however, that Bush and Webb won’t be taking any overseas trips together anytime soon.

2007 will be rough year for President Bush. He is used to dealing with Joe Lieberman Democrats who want to give him hugs and kisses, and if he flipped out at Webb for answering a simple question honestly, then I can't imagine the tantrums he will throw when Congress actually stands up to him on the important issues.

The Washington Post has an expanded version of how the conversation ended-
"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

Translate: 'I don't care about your son, dude. Just give the pleasant, banal answer I expect.'

Our new Democratic Senate is nice, yes, I like it very much.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I thinks we would have been better off if ol' George W would have kept putting the big buzz on. As it is, he's still walking around with his head in a cloud oblivious to what's going on around him. Unfortuantely, he's taking us all on a bad trip with him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home