Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sen. Feingold Rules Out '08 Run; I Cry A Little Inside

After a week of non-stop good news, a little let-down was inevitable. Sen. Feingold has announced today officially that he is not seeking the presidential nomination in 2008, as had been expected. This really disappoints me, but I am glad to see Sen. Feingold wants to commit himself 100% to his Senate duties rather than be a part-time Senator while he prepares a presidential run (we're looking at you, John and Hillary). Now, it must be said here that every Feingold supporter knew he had little chance of getting the nomination amongst better-funded candidates. Not just because he is an unapologetic liberal, but also because he is a) Jewish, and b) single/divorced. Let's face it, in many parts of the country, that woudn't 'play well'.

But every Democratic primary season needs one honest candidate in the mix to keep the others honest-- to call them out on the issues that actually matter, not just the ones their overpaid pollsters tell them are. Sen. Feingold has always been ahead of the curve on the issues (the war, Patriot Act, campaign reform, warrantless wiretapping, etc) and could have forced other candidates to debate issues that, while they might think are politically uncomfortable, are actually vitally important. Alas, it is not to be, and we can hope that another dark-horse candidate who shares these same values and positions will step into the race next year. Listen to liberals/Democrats and you will hear a real worry about Sen. Clinton and her chances of winning the general election. A stronger, less-triangulating candidate is needed. Who will step up to fill that void? At this point, I'd prefer to draft Al Gore out of retirement, but I'm 100% open to any candidate who makes their case.

Here is an excerpt from Sen. Feingold's letter announcing the decision:
...Like many Americans, I am excited by the results of the November 7th election... [I]n this new Congress we can start, not only to undo much of the damage that one-party rule has done to America, we can actually advance progressive solutions to such major issues as guaranteed healthcare, dependence on oil, and our unbalanced trade policies. The Senate of the 110th Congress could also well be a place of greater bi-partisan opportunities for change; something I am very proud to have been effective at in both Republican and Democratic Senates...

...Unfailingly, people responded well to my positions: opposition to the Iraq war; calling for a timeline to redeploy our troops from Iraq so we can focus on those who attacked us on September 11th, 2001; my opposition to the flawed provisions of the USA Patriot Act that threaten the freedoms of law-abiding Americans; my call for accountability for the Administration's arrogant disregard for the law especially with regard to illegal wiretapping; fighting for fiscal responsibility including tough common sense budget rules that will help end the reckless policies that have heaped a mountain of debt on our children and grandchildren; as well as my strong belief in guaranteed healthcare for all Americans and substantial investment in alternative energy sources and technologies.

Yet, while I've certainly enjoyed the repeated comments or buttons saying, "Run Russ Run", or "Russ in '08", I often felt that if a piece of Wisconsin swiss cheese had taken the same positions I've taken, it would have elicited the same standing ovations. This is because the hunger for progressive change we feel is obviously not about me but about the desire for a genuinely different Democratic Party that is ready to begin to reverse the 25 years of growing extremism we have endured.

I'm sure a campaign for President would have been a great adventure and helpful in advancing a progressive agenda. At this time, however, I believe I can best advance that progressive agenda as a Senator with significant seniority in the new Senate serving on the Foreign Relations, Intelligence, Judiciary and Budget Committees. Although I have given it a lot of thought, I cannot muster the same enthusiasm for a race for President while I am trying simultaneously to advance our agenda in the Senate...
Thanks, Senator.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go take the 'Russ in '08' button off my bag...

[Related reading:
-The Nation: Feingold Won't Seek Democratic Nod
-Glenn Greenwald: Why the Beltway class can't comprehend the Russ Feingolds of the world]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home